New referrals for autism and ADHD diagnoses for young people in Lancaster and Morecambe Bay have been paused over "unprecedented high levels of demand".
Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust (LSCFT) said the measure had been in place in parts of the region since February 2.
The measure means no new referrals are currently being accepted for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in Morecambe Bay between the ages of five and 18, and for autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in Lancaster between the ages of five and 17.
In addition, children on existing assessment waiting lists will not be seen, and the Trust will be writing to families to advise them of this and the next steps for them.
A statement from the Trust said: ‘’We appreciate that this update brings a degree of uncertainty for parents and carers and apologise for this.
‘’We are working hard to minimise any disruption and anticipate that the proposed new model for neurodevelopmental pathways will be a much-needed improvement to neurodevelopmental support in Lancashire and South Cumbria.’’
Donna Robinson, Chief Operating Officer at LSCFT, said: “Patient care is our priority, and this decision is not one that has been taken lightly.
‘’It is however necessary to establish improved ways of working, and LSCFT and the Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care Board (ICB), along with wider system partners, remain committed to working together to support discussions around any future sustainable arrangements.
‘’Any new referrals for autism and ADHD diagnoses will be paused while alternative pathways are agreed and commissioned.“
Professor Craig Harris, Chief Commissioning Officer and Accountable Emergency Officer for the ICB, added: “Lancashire and South Cumbria ICB has begun a three-year transformation programme to redesign the neurodevelopmental (ND) pathway for children and young people.
‘’The aim of the ND pathway is to ensure that the needs of children and young people are met from the earliest possible stage without a diagnosis being necessary to access support.
‘’The plan will help people based on what they need, with or without a diagnosis. This is known as ‘needs-led care’ and will support people getting to the right service for them.
‘’We hope that this development will improve the situation for everyone. This initiative seeks to address the challenges that parents, carers, children and young people experience such as obtaining timely access for autism and ADHD assessments, integrating and joining up services, ensuring consistent post diagnostic support and ensuring that children and young people will have an equitable service across Lancashire and South Cumbria.”


Lorry driver flees scene as teenagers suffer serious injuries in M6 collision near Lancaster
Uber granted operators licence for Lancaster district
Appeal to find relatives as memorial benches to be removed near Eden Project Morecambe site
Lancaster branch of Lloyds bank to close this summer
Child's trike stolen from garden in Morecambe is found after police appeal
Rock star John Waite proud of Lancaster roots on visit to home city
Morecambe and Heysham pubs win big at Lancashire Tourism Awards
First spades in the ground at Morecambe school's pioneering eco-garden
Morecambe FC Director of Fan Engagement resigns
65 e-bikes and e-scooters seized in three months during Lancaster district crackdown
Police appeal for theft of calculators from Lancaster stationers
Major investment announced for Williamson Park
Calls for public consultation into ward closure plans at Lancaster hospital
Lancashire Climate Action Forum to be held in Lancaster
LISTEN: Return dates announced after success of third Bay International Film Festival in Morecambe
Food champions to gather in Lancaster for national award talks
Morecambe school pupils brave chill to raise hundreds for local charities
PHOTOS: Lancaster glows with vibrant Chinese New Year celebrations
King Charles returns to Lancaster while on visit to county

