The current Morecambe FC owner say his family have been subject to a ‘campaign of social media abuse’ which has put off potential buyers.
As the wait to complete a sale from Bond Group to Panjab Warriors goes on, Jason Whittingham has issued a statement saying he would pursue criminal charges against those responsible.
On Friday, the club announced that the long-awaited sale of Morecambe FC would be completed today (Monday, July 7), after they had "agreed final terms for the transfer of ownership and sale of Morecambe Football Club Limited, subject to contract" with Panjab Warriors Sports Ltd.
Read more: Morecambe FC owners say sale of club will complete on Monday
There was no update in the sale process given, in a statement released this afternoon by Mr Whittingham. At time of publcation of this article, the sale has not been concluded, and the remainder of staff wages, which were due in full on June 27, have still not been paid. To date, staff have received one third of their pay.
It said: ‘’There has been a campaign of abuse on social media against my family members, including elderly and young - all vulnerable people, including women, who they are clearly attempting to intimidate and bully.
‘’In addition to reporting this to the police, they will be investigated even after the club is sold, no matter how long it takes. As we acquire their details, we will contact their place of work, education or associations as well as pursuing criminal charges.
‘’As social media and accompanying abuse against me and my family has been noticed, the individuals involved have already been responsible for putting off at least two potential buyers who do not want to be involved in a club with a section of such toxic individuals.
‘’These individuals serve only themselves not the best interests of the club.’’
The club has been up for sale since September 2022. Bond Group have owned Morecambe FC since 2018.
MORECAMBE FC CRISIS: TIMELINE OF EVENTS SO FAR
Friday June 27: The Morecambe FC board of directors reveal that the planned sale of the club to Panjab Warriors is on the brink of collapse, just weeks after the prospective new owners gained clearance from the English Football League (EFL) to proceed with a takeover. The board said owners Bond Group Investments were "considering reneging on the deal". Players and staff at the club were due to be paid their monthly salaries, but hadn't received the money from the owners.
Tuesday July 1: The board gives Bond Group an ultimatum, sell to Panjab Warriors or the club faces being put into administration. By this point, staff have been paid around a third of their wages.
Wednesday July 2: Jason Whittingham denies "stalling" over the deal, says he still intends to sell but that "any transfer of shares (has to be) done in a way that holds no recourse for either the club or Bond Group". He says he intends to "resolve the matter of staff salaries" and wants to "avoid administration at all costs". As such, he says he has begun the process of dismissing the board. All five board members - co-chairmen Rod Taylor and Graham Howse, and James Wakefield, Charles Appleyard and Mick Horton - are terminated as directors at Companies House, although minutes of a Shrimps Trust meeting reveals all five had resigned before this.
Thursday July 3: Lizzi Collinge, MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale, says in Parliament that the club is "in crisis". Both she and Lisa Nandy, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, call on Bond Group to complete the sale. In a further statement, Jason Whittingham says "work continues to complete the sale process and give Morecambe Football Club the fresh start the club and its community deserve". Sponsors Bay Camera and Communications Ltd say they will stop sponsoring the club until it is sold.
Read more: Morecambe FC crisis: Devastated Shrimps fan withdraws sponsorship until club is sold
Morecambe FC owner says "work continues to complete the sale process"
‘Crisis point’ - Morecambe FC owner sacks board of directors as administration row rumbles on
UPDATED: Administration threat as Morecambe FC owner given sale ultimatum
'Where is the money?' Morecambe FC sale on brink of collapse after wages delay


26 arrests made at pro-Palestine demonstration outside Lancaster Castle
Lancaster Music Festival to return in 2026
Lancaster toddler with life-threatening condition honoured as ‘Young Heart Hero’
Lancaster University professor receives OBE at Windsor Castle ceremony
Heysham Power Stations’ tour for deaf visitors is first of its kind
LISTEN: Mums talk about new Lancaster & Morecambe Bay support group for parents
"Important milestone" as councils sign landmark partnership deal
Event held in Morecambe to share ideas for new Eden Project 'Bring Me Sunshine' Garden
Telecoms engineer takes on shirtless 5k challenge in memory of much-loved Lancaster man
Lancaster businesswoman completes six-month trek for Palestine
Lancaster City councillors vote to support plans to join with Preston and Ribble Valley
MP slams state of A&E department after claims ‘man with suspected broken leg turned away from RLI’
BUDGET 2025: How are people in Lancaster & Morecambe Bay affected?
Police appeal after Lancaster Pokémon card fraud
Dog trapped in fence freed by Hornby firefighters
Lancaster choir named winners of Lancashire Choir of the Year
Lancaster medical stalwart retires from NHS after almost 60 years service
Lancaster on list of targets for new M&S Simply Food store
Story of record-breaking Morecambe Bay swimmer told in new book
