U-turn confirmed on decision to pause Autism and ADHD referrals across Lancaster and Morecambe Bay

Plans to pause new referrals for autism and ADHD diagnoses for young people in Lancaster and Morecambe Bay have been put on hold, it has been confirmed.

Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust (LSCFT) said the measure had been in place in parts of the region since February 2, due to "unprecedented high levels of demand".

It meant that no new referrals were being accepted for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in Morecambe Bay between the ages of five and 18, and for autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in Lancaster between the ages of five and 17.

In addition, parents of children on existing assessment waiting lists were told they wouldn’t be seen, prompting anger and uncertainty among affected families.

But now it has been confirmed that these plans are now on hold while next steps are worked out.

A joint statement has been issued by Chris Oliver, Chief Executive of the Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust, and Aaron Cummins, Chief Executive of the Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care Board.

‘’During the past few days, the Trust has had proactive conversations with the ICB and has confirmed it will continue to accept referrals for this service as the ICB work to confirm a commissioned framework by the end of February,’’ says the statement.

''Patient care is our priority, but without a sustainable model for children and young people, the Trust could not continue accepting referrals.

‘’The Trust will then review the ICB proposed framework and assess the impact this will have on the current unacceptably long waiting times for children and young people.

‘’To clarify, there has been no change to the commissioned mental health pathway for children and young people who have a mental health need and also require ADHD/ASD assessment and treatment.

‘’We have been engaging with Parent Carer Forums across Lancashire and South Cumbria and through them, we know that families have been concerned about the situation.  We are sorry for any distress that this may have caused.

‘’We hope this announcement will be reassuring, and we will continue to work closely with the Parent Carer Forums as important strategic partners.

‘’The Trust remains committed to working alongside the ICB with our clinical teams and looks forward to receiving a sustainable commissioned and funded framework to meet the needs of children and young people.’’

In response, the Lancaster and Wyre MP Cat Smith said: ‘’This rethink of the immediate scrapping of service and axing of waiting lists is welcome, but ultimately this will be reassessed again once the new framework has been established.''

Below: Cat Smith MP

‘’We recognise that the current waiting times are unacceptably long for children and young people, and hope to see proposals soon on how the ICB will address these several-year waits.

‘’We stand ready to review their forthcoming plan and work again with the Health Secretary to ensure that families across Lancashire and South Cumbria get the service and dignity in care they deserve.’’

Have you got a local news story? Email us now, newsdesk@beyondradio.co.uk

Join our free WhatsApp channel and get the latest news direct to your phone:

More from Local News

On Air Now Beyond Drive 3:00pm - 7:00pm
Now Playing
Game Of Love LOWES Download
Recently Played

Recently Played Songs