The Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has spoken out on the crisis at Morecambe Football Club.
The PM, speaking to Greatest Hits Radio today, said "we have to do everything we can" to protect Morecambe and other football clubs who are struggling.
Morecambe Football Club is currently suspended from the National League, unable to start the new league season this weekend, and has been removed from this season's National League Cup.
The club could be expelled from the league altogether after a meeting on August 20.
Staff at the club were paid only a third of their salaries in June and none in July, and a proposed sale of Morecambe FC has stalled.
Bills have been unpaid and the Shrimps are under a transfer embargo, preventing them from signing new players.
"In relation to Morecambe, I'm very concerned about the situation and urge all concerned to do the right thing to ensure that we get the outcome that every Morecambe fan, every football fan wants, which is a thriving and successful club," said the Prime Minister.
"Morecambe is a classic example of place, of football, of pride in the community, that we need to ensure and to protect. What we are doing with football governance is absolutely focussed on that.
"Morecambe (Football Club) matters to the people of Morecambe, to the community, to the fans. Fans were queuing to get the kit in recent days notwithstanding the difficulties.
Below, Shrimps supporters queueing on the Promenade on Tuesday evening to buy the 2025/26 Morecambe FC kit at the former Beach Cafe

"These are pride of place issues and whether it's Morecambe or other clubs we have to do everything we can to make sure they are not only surviving but that they have an opportunity to thrive.
"In relation to the particular case of Morecambe, I want everybody to do the right thing so that Morecambe can thrive.
"But I would say this across all football clubs, particularly those that are struggling, we need to protect them. We need to do everything we can to make sure that they survive and thrive."
When asked if the government would consider stepping in, Mr Starmer said: "At this moment I think it's right to say that all those involved need to do the right thing by Morecambe.
"There are already discussions going on. There is a way through this. I'd urge everyone to do the right thing to get to the right outcome. It really matters."
Lisa Nandy, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, recently wrote to Jason Whittingham of club owners Bond Group Investments, calling on him to complete a sale of the club.
Read more: Morecambe FC crisis: Top government minister calls on Shrimps owner to sell club - Beyond Radio
Sports investment firm Panjab Warriors were given English Football League (EFL) clearance in June, to proceed with their proposed takeover. But Bond Group has not completed on the deal after previously announcing that final terms had been agreed.
In the meantime the cash-strapped club has virtually ground to a halt. However there were still a small number of employees working at the Mazuma Mobile Stadium when Beyond Radio visited on Wednesday.
The launch of the new Shrimps kit, being held at the Beach Cafe in Morecambe from Tuesday to Thursday, has seen large queues and high demand.
Read more: Morecambe FC fans queue for hours in show of unity amid huge demand for new kit - Beyond Radio


Morecambe FC’s Head of Commercial returns to club
PHOTOS: Traffic light flattened after crash near busy Lancaster city centre junction
PHOTOS: New Tesco Express supermarket set to open in Lancaster
Crews tackle Lancaster caravan fire
High street chain Savers opens in Lancaster shopping centre
Talks held on Morecambe UK Town of Culture tilt
Morecambe FC announce appointment of Chief Operating Officer
Cat rescue champion hits out after Lancaster supermarket removes charity's collection point
Businesses wanting to team up with Eden Project Morecambe invited to drop-in event
LISTEN: Film festival in Lancaster area to show powerful stories of refugees
Disappointment for Lancaster as 2026 International Youth Games called off
New car parking spaces open in Lancaster city centre
Stars to play in celebrity football match in Morecambe in memory of brave teenager
U-turn confirmed on decision to pause Autism and ADHD referrals across Lancaster and Morecambe Bay
Morecambe Promenade will NOT close during £2.6m electricity works
Thumbs up for design changes marks start of "transformative year" for Eden Project Morecambe
Bolton-le-Sands pensioner, 81, targeted in telephone courier fraud banking scam
LISTEN: Up to 200 homes between Slyne and Bolton-le-Sands refused
Volunteers plant 120 native trees at Royal Lancaster Infirmary as part of major nature recovery project
Celebrating 25 years since opening of Lancaster’s iconic Millennium Bridge

